The largest and most lovely park in Rome, being about four miles in circumference. It was laid out by Card. Scipio Borghese, the favourite nephew of Pope Paul V (1605 -1621) and is decorated with beautiful fountains, small waterfalls, artificial lakes, imitations of ancient monuments and a large hippodrome.
Up to 1901, it was the private property and residence of the Borghese family who, very often, used to give in it feasts and entertainments to popes and noble families in which, sometimes, also the people of Rome participated. In 1903 it was bought by the Italian government and presented to the city of Rome, as a public promenade. Official Rome Guide, Rome walking city Tours.